Health 534408931cf04edbd06662028d2718be
Another Woman Has Suffered an Accident Involving a Can of Whipped Cream

Weeks after an exploding can of whipped cream killed a popular fitness model, another defective dispenser has injured a mother, causing a leg wound and destroying her kitchen ceiling.

Heidi Dumotier, a mother in Trémery, France, was baking a dessert for her 4-year-old daughter’s birthday when the injury occurred. “I shake the bottle, and — boom — it explodes,” she told a French local radio station, according to the BBC. “It was terrible, the lid was gone and the bottle was lodged in the ceiling.” She added, “If I had taken that to the head, I would have been finished.”

Of her leg injury, the extent of which is unclear, Dumptier also said per the French site The Local, “At the time, I did not understand what was going on and did not feel anything. It was only when I saw the blood I realized.”

The brand of the whipped cream is unknown and the explosion left a six-inch hole in Dumotier’s ceiling.

On June 18, a well-known fitness model named Rebecca Burger, 33, died of cardiac arrest in France, after a defective can of whipped cream that had been taken off the market in 2013, exploded, hitting her on the chest. According to USA Today, the whipped cream manufacturer Ard’time had removed the product in 2013 after a “first incident implicating a siphon.”

 

Burger’s family posted a photo of the can that had killed the young woman on her Instagram account where she had 210K followers. Per the Washington Post, the caption, translated from French, reads, “Here’s an example of the cartridge/siphon for whipped cream that exploded and struck Rebecca’s chest, killing her. Take note: The cartridge that caused her death was sealed. Do not use this type of device in your home! Tens of thousands of these appliances are still in circulation.”

 

According to 60 Millions de Consommateurs, a French consumer magazine, defective whipped cream dispensers made between 2009 and 2013 are still in circulation. “Due to a fault in its conception, the siphon’s plastic cap appears much too fragile to withstand being put under pressure … as a result, the siphon could explode and injure the user and those around them,” the magazine writes, according to U.K.’s The Guardian.

Per the American Heart Association, cardiac arrest (which differs from a heart attack) is the “abrupt loss of heart function” and occurs suddenly and without warning when the heart’s pumping is disrupted. It can be reversed if treated within minutes.

Should the average person be worried about the can of whipped cream sitting in the fridge? Probably not, reports the New York Daily News, unless it uses a gas capsule to apply pressure to a metal container. In some cases, those capsules “can be expelled like a bullet at high speed.”

Related Post

Leave a comment