There are some beauty horror stories that we try to put out of our minds and write off as urban legends that could never actually happen to us: curling iron–induced third-degree burns, for example, or every squirmy thing you can imagine happening when a lash curler goes awry. But sometimes, there’s photographic evidence, like this viral video, currently making the rounds online, that shows a woman whose lash extensions ended up gluing her eyes shut.
According to PopSugar, a client visited Fara Beauty Salon in Thailand with lash extensions that had been applied with superglue at another salon. As a result, her eyes were sealed shut. The lash technician shared a video of her removal process, which included using oil to dissolve the glue before scraping off the extensions. Once the process was complete, while the client was able to open her eyes again, her lashes were even shorter than the ones she started with. Add in the red, painful-looking eyes and the trauma of having superglue leak into the eye sockets, and you have a really, really bad day on your hands.
It’s obvious that superglue — shudder — is a dangerous lash adhesive. But what should you look for in an adhesive, assuming that, after watching this video, you can ever bring yourself to consider getting lash extensions? According to Susan Bard, M.D., of Manhattan Dermatology Specialists, reputable salons use a semi-permanent, latex-free, formaldehyde-free formula to decrease the likelihood of an allergic reaction. Bard said clients should also keep in mind that if a lash-extension price seems too good to be true, it probably is. “Your eyes are not a place to start bargain hunting,” she told Allure. “Go to a reputable salon and avoid the Groupons.” Sabah Feroz, Lash Expert at Blink Brow Bar London, said it’s “vital” to test any lash glue on a small patch of skin before sitting down for a full application. “A patch test will also be carried out 48 hours prior to the treatment to ensure the client doesn’t have any allergies to the products,” Feroz said. If your salon doesn’t offer a patch test, run.
“This woman’s mishap is due to poor training and technique more than anything else,” Bard added. The lesson: Do your beauty-treatment research.